In 1942, Colonel Carl Houck left Cleburne, Texas, and traveled to Yoakum, Texas. He fell in love with South Texas and established himself as a very sought after livestock auctioneer. In 1945, his sons, Garland and Walon, joined him. They sold livestock at auctions six days a week serving almost every auction barn in South Texas.
In 1946, Karnes County Livestock Exchange came on the market and they purchased it. Throughout the years, they also bought auctions in Flatonia, Wharton and Edna. Those three were eventually sold and the family run business in Kenedy continued to serve the needs of farmers and ranchers.
In 1971, Ron and Sandra Carter and Debra Rouse (Walon’s daughters and son-in-law) joined the business. Carl had passed away in 1961. Walon died in 1976 and Garland in 1988. Ron, Sandra, and Debra continue to run the business. In 2007 Debra’s son Walon joined the family run business and in 2011, Chris, Ron and Sandra’s son, came onboard. Both Walon and Chris were raised around the barn and started working summers when they were about seven years old. They had the knowledge and love for the business when they came here. In 2012 Walon’s wife, Amber, joined the team as office manager.
Throughout the years, we have all strived to serve the public in the best way we know how and to treat each person as a member of our family. We have been here for 66 years and will always strive to do the best we can to serve our customers.
Copyright © 2013 Karnes County Livestock Exchange
Site Design by YourSiteGuy.com